Our subject offer
City Heights E-ACT Academy is a learning environment at the heart of its local community. We promote care and respect and expect high standards in all aspects of academy life.
Our curriculum helps our students to develop spiritually, morally, culturally and in their social skills and contributions. Our curriculum vision:
A broad knowledge-rich curriculum. It is academic, rigorous and challenging, and designed with long-term memory in mind.
Our vision will ensure we develop tomorrow’s leaders, compassionate and articulate; ready for university or a career of their choice and is underpinned by our values:
- Social justice
- Pride and professionalism
- Respect and responsibility
- Empathy and kindness
In Year 7 we place additional emphasis on Maths and English to ensure that all students secure confidence in these core subjects which will help them to access all aspects of the curriculum. We provide catch-up support in reading, writing and maths for those students who have not reached age expected expectations by the end of their primary school education.
Our specialism of languages also commits us to giving substantial curriculum time to learning Spanish with every student. We also give students the opportunity to study French alongside Spanish where appropriate.
We have thirty 55 minute lessons each week and the timetable includes double periods in some subjects:
- Year 7: English 5, Maths 5, Science 5, Spanish 3, Humanities (History, Geography, RE) 4, Art and Design 3, Music 2, Drama 1, PE/Dance 2
- Year 8: English 5, Maths 5, Science 5, Spanish 3 (able linguists have the opportunity to take up French alongside Spanish), Humanities 4, Art and Design 2, Music 2, Drama 1, PE/Dance 2, Computing 1
- Year 9: English 5, Maths 5, Science 5, Spanish 3 (able linguists have the opportunity to take up French alongside Spanish), Humanities 4, Art and Design 2, Music 2, Drama 1, PE/Dance 2, Computing 1
- Year 10 and 11: All students study English, Maths and Science GCSE. They also study four GCSE option choices. Information is available on each course within the relevant curriculum area
For 2017/18 our curriculum priorities are as follows:
- We will continue to review our KS3 curriculum to ensure that it offers our students the best chance of success at KS4. To ensure that we include key concepts and topics that will benefit our students throughout their time at City Heights and beyond.
- We will ensure that all curriculum areas have sequencing and interleaving within them to allow for long term memory change and the mastery of topics.